Apprentice Beekeeper Requirements
- the candidate must have a current Beekeeper Registration on-file with the Texas Apiary Inspection Service OR be a registered beekeeper in their home state. Texas Beekeeper Registration applies to the listed beekeeper and their immediate family.
- must own at least one colony of honey bees for at least one full year.
- must score a 70% or higher on a written examination. The written test can include, but is not limited to: materials covered during previous Texas Beekeepers Association Conference lectures; information on the Texas Apiary Inspection Service website (http://txbeeinspection.tamu.edu/); information found on the African Bee Extension and Education Program website (https://entnemdept.ifas.ufl.edu/honey-bee/extension/beekeeper-resources/african-bees/); and materials from books/other literature on the Apprentice Beekeeper reading list.
- must score 70% or higher on a practical examination. The practical examination can include but is not limited to describing the physical parts of a beehive (common terms, not regional nomenclature); lighting and properly using a smoker; recognizing the various stages of brood, different castes of bees, and finding or at least describing the queen; differentiating between brood, pollen, and capped honey; recognizing propolis and describing its functions; describing the layout of a brood nest (placement of honey, pollen, and brood), etc.
- The Beekeeper’s Handbook, 4th Edition – Diana Sammataro and Alphonse Avitabile (2011)
- First Lessons in Beekeeping – Keith Delaplane (2007)
- The Backyard Beekeeper, 4th Edition – Kim Flottum (2018)
- Honey Bee Biology and Beekeeping, 2nd Edition – Dewey Caron (2013)
- American Bee Journal
- Bee Culture
- All “honey bee” entries (search for “honey bee”) at: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/
- Texas Apiary Inspection Service: http://txbeeinspection.tamu.edu/
- The University of Florida AFBEE: https://entnemdept.ufl.edu/honey-bee/beekeeper-resources/african-bees/
- Bee Informed Partnership: https://beeinformed.org/
- eXtension: America’s Research-based Learning Network: https://bee-health.extension.org/
- Honey Bee Health Coalition: https://honeybeehealthcoalition.org/resources/varroa-management/